“Never in my wildest dreams did I think that anywhere in North Africa could stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the great wildlife and safari destinations of east and southern Africa. Yet, nothing could have prepared me for how truly great Zakouma National Park in Chad is and how well it stacks up as a must-see safari destination for travellers with a passion for wildlife and true wildernesses.” (Colin Bell – Founder of Wilderness Safaris)
Come and join me as your Personal Guide on a trip of a lifetime to the country of Chad in North West Africa and to Zakouma National Park in particular.
I have been allocated a week in April 2016 for this exciting trip to Zakouma. We will stay in a Camp Nomade Safari Camp during our stay. No more than 120 fortunate international guests get to experience this each year.
For South African travellers:Depart from O R Tambo Best available flight Ethiopian Airlines flight 808 at 23h20 arriving in Addis Ababa at 06h30.
For International guests, best approached via Addis Ababa or Cairo.
Meet in Ndjamena, Capital of Chad. If from South Africa arriving at 11h50 on Ethiopian Airlines flight ET 939 at 10h15. From Addis Ababa. Afternoon of leisure in Ndjamena visiting the Market, attending the Sunday afternoon horse racing and other exciting options.
Depart N'djamena early to Zakouma by chartered Cessna Caravan +- 4 hours flight. Arrive for lunch. Proceed to Camp Nomade described thus:
"This is a nomadic camp that is set up for three nights at a time and then moved (only if necessary). Nomadic in style and function but beautifully decorated with Chadian flair. In short it is luxurious simplicity personified. The attention to detail is exquisite. There are a maximum of 4 tents, each of which has a large mosquito net with a canvas roof for shade, providing a 360° view of the wilds. Water in a flask. The shower and loo is set behind the tent, privacy provided by straw matting. Bucket shower. At night the tents and camp look wonderfully atmospheric as they are lit by lanterns. Solar panels for charging cameras etc. Laundry available."
Camp Nomade in up to 3 different places within Zakouma National Park dependent upon the rains and the game-watching conditions (If conditions are good, we’ll stay in one spot throughout).
Zakouma offers unrivalled Big Game viewing (only Rhinos awaited to make up the Big 5), spectacular birding being at the junction of 4 important birding regions and a rare experience of Northern African culture. A trip to the local market is planned.
Morning pickup by Cessna Caravan and return to N’djamena in time to catch the connecting afternoon flights out if from South Africa then on Air Ethiopia flight ET 938 to Addis Ababa departing at 14h15 arriving at 16h30
Dinner at a traditional Ethiopian Restaurant (TBA).
(Accommodation to be confirmed)
For South African guests - Depart from Addis Ababa preferably on Ethiopian Airlines flight ET809 at 8h40 arriving at OR Tambo at 13h10
Your privately guided safari with John Pearse & Camp Nomade includes the following:
- 7-nights, 8-days on safari plus a night in N’djamena on the way in.
- Scheduled Monday to Monday departures by charter from N’djamena to Zakouma return.
- 4 separate Camp Nomade Tents can sleep a maximum of 8 guests, each with ‘en suite’ bathroom. Double beds are not available.
- The Mess Tent is the communal hub of the camp and the catering is provided by a mobile kitchen trailer.
- The camp is unfenced, off-grid, has radio and satellite phone connectivity and relies on a trailer to provide all the water for the camp.
- Cameras and batteries may be charged in camp, using a communal charging station which is run with solar power.
- Open Season: mid-December to mid-April (indicatively a maximum of only 18 departures per season).
- Low Season: (mid-December – mid-January). Although this season is cooler weather, certain areas are not accessible due to water retainage after the previous rainy season.
- High Season: mid-January – mid April where the concentration of wildlife around remaining pans and rivers is greatest, before it gets too hot.
- Camp Nomade will not necessarily move to a new site during the 7-night safari, but a number of different sites are available and the camp may move between scheduled safaris depending on the wildlife conditions at the time. Site decisions shall be made by the Camp Manager together with your Personal Guide.
- Two standard game-viewing vehicles are available, including drivers, who speak French and limited English. English language training is being undertaken and an English-speaking Camp Manager is able to assist at any time.
- Exclusivity: Camp Nomade is offered to a single Personally Guided group on an exclusive basis.
- Full Board catering with Chadian/nomadic influence prepared by Camp Nomade Chef.
- Vegetarian option available if pre-arranged at least one month before arrival.
- Camp Nomade will endeavour to accommodate other dietary requirements on a best efforts basis but the availability and suitability thereof cannot be guaranteed, and may be charged at an additional fee. It is advisable to consider additional special food items to be brought in with group, either from N’djamena or from source.
- Standard beverages: bottled water, non-alcoholic beverages, fruit juices, local beers, Red/White House Wine, Standard Spirits: Whiskey, Gin & Tonic, and Rum. For any other beverages, need to pre-arrange with JPS or bring own special beverages from N’djamena or abroad as required by guests.
- Meet & Greet service at N’djamena airport. Note, this is an informal arrangement (N’djamena does not have a formal VIP facility available to tourists) whereby the ZNP/Camp Nomade staff member will meet guests in the Arrivals Hall and accompany them through baggage collection to the hotel transfer vehicle outside, striving to minimise the risk of any inconvenience to guests.
- Facilitation of Police Registration for guests. The ZNP staff member will take the group’s passports and completed registration forms. Depending on international flight schedules passports may have to be left in N’djamena however the ZNP Representative will endeavour to get them back before the charter. Currently no fee is charged on this process by the Government, but if a fee were to be charged ZNP may pass this onto the guests.
- ZNP Park Fees. Park Fees are collected from guests as part of the Camp Nomade Accommodation rate.
- Scheduled game-drives, walking and other activities, including drivers. There is no fee payable to visit the local villages; however, guests are encouraged to purchase items from the market to contribute to the growing tourism potential.
- Armed scout in camp at all times.
- Return transfers between ZNP Air-strip and CN.
- Bush laundry services (all water in CN is transported by a water-tank trailer).
- International Return Flights. For South African best by Air Ethiopia to and from OR Tambo Johannesburg via Addis Ababa to N’djamena Chad. Costs of trip will be varied if coming from another source Country and by class of flight. Indicative Flights costs at $800 economy.
- Accommodation in Addis Ababa on return flight (for South Africans, can be included in the Air Ethiopia packages.
- Transportation by taxi or other in N’djamena and Addis Ababa apart from that provided by hotels as a collection service.
- The obtaining of Chadian Visa.
John Pearse Safaris will obtain from ZNP a Visa Invitation Letter for each guest, to be used to apply for a Chadian visa in the guest’s home country (Embassy in Pretoria). A “visa on arrival” option is now available at N’DJAMENA airport for visitors without Chadian embassies in their home countries. For an additional facilitation fee of $50 per person, a ZNP staff member in N’DJAMENA can provide the “authorisation to travel letter” required and facilitate this application.
- Yellow Fever Certificate and other relevant inoculations required at the time.
- Any personal Travel, Medical, emergency evacuation and related insurance required by the guest.
- Dinner at Kempinski / Dinner in Addis Ababa.
- Afternoon excursions in N’djamena.
- All gratuities.